Temporary Culture. Occasional List 1. Fifty Books
Only in cyberspace are the shelves endless. Books may be reserved by e-mail to wessells [at] aol [dot] com .
Cheques or money orders, payable to Temporary Culture, may be sent to : P.O. Box 43072, Upper Montclair, NJ 07043 ; you may pay via paypal to : wessells [at] aol [dot] com ; or inquire to pay by credit card.
Unless otherwise noted, all books are in first edition in original bindings, as published, in near fine to fine condition. Ownership marks noted. Shipping is additional (in U.S. : $3.00 medial mail or $6.00 priority mail ; foreign at cost). Books are returnable with notice if not as described.
Titles in Print :
Avram Davidson. The Wailing of the Gaulish Dead. Preface by Eileen Gunn. Nutmeg Point District Mail, May 2013. Wrappers. $25.00 (postpaid in U.S.)
Gregory Feeley. Arabian Wine. Temporary Culture, 2005. One of 300 copies signed by the author. Cloth, dust jacket. O.p., 2 copies at published price, $50.00 (postpaid in U.S.)
Joe Haldeman. Forever Peace. To Stop War. Etchings by Judith Clute. Temporary Culture, 2008. Edition of 25 copies, signed by artist and author. Pastepaper over boards. One copy, at published price : $1,000.00 (postpaid)
Don Webb. When They Came. Temporary Culture, 2006. Wrappers. $22.50 (postpaid in U.S.)
Henry Wessells. The Private Life of Books. Photographs by Paul Schütze. Temporary Culture, 2014. Edition of 200 copies. Wrappers. $150.00 (postpaid)
Other Books :
$5.00 shelf :
1. ALDISS, Brian. An Exile on Planet Earth. Articles and Reflections. Bodleian Library, .
2. (AUSTRALIA) The Adventures of Ralph Rashleigh. A Penal Exile in Australia 1825-1844. Jonathan Cape, . Decorated cloth. Very good (spine faded, lacking dust jacket).
3. BUCHANAN, Hugh. Hugh Buchanan Paints the John Murray Archive. Austen, Byron, Conan Doyle, Etc .... John Martin Gallery, 2015. Illustrated wrappers. Ink initials on half title.
4. LAFFERTY, R.A. The Flame is Green. Walker and Company, . Very good (jacket price clipped).
5. LATHROP, Elise. Early American Inns and Taverns. Arno Press, 1977. Reprint of 1926 ed. Cloth, dust jacket.
6. LEOPARDI, Giacomo. Canti. Translated by Jonathan Galassi. Farrar, Straus, Girous, .
7. LYONS, Arthur. Castles Burning. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, . Jacket spine slightly faded, Scribners bookshop sticker on back panel.
8. LYONS, Arthur. Hard Trade. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, . Small scuff at foot of jacket spine panel.
9. MCCARTHY, Muriel. All Graduates & Gentlemen. Marsh's Library. O'Brien Press, 1980.
10. MILCHMAN, Jenny. Cover of Snow. A Novel. Ballantine Books, . Signed by the author.
11. POWERS, Richard. Orfeo. A Novel. W.W. Norton, .
12. PRICE, Leah, ed. Unpacking My Library. Writers and Their Books. Yale University Press, . Pictorial boards.
13. RUSH, Norman. Subtle Bodies. Knopf, 2013.
14. SHECKLEY, Robert. The Alternative Detective. Forge, .
15. SIMSA, Cyril. Lost Cartographies. Tales of Another Europe. Invocations Press, . Wrappers
16. SMITH, R. Dixon. Lost in the Rentharpian Hills. Spanning the Decades with Carl Jacobi. Bowling Green State University Popular Press, . Rose wrappers (spine faintly faded).
17. TAIBO, Paco Ignacio. No Happy Ending. Translated by William I. Neuman. Mysterious Press, .
18. TAIBO, Paco Ignacio. Just Passing Through. Translated by Martin Michael Roberts. Cinco Puntos Press, .
19. TINGEY, John. The Englishman Who Posted Himself and Other Curious Objects. Princeton Architectural Press, . Pictorial boards.
$10.00 shelf :
20. BISSON, Terry. Any Day Now. A Novel. Overlook, . Signed by the author.
21. BROWN, Fredric. Here Comes A Candle. Introduction by Bill Pronzini. Millipede Press, . No. 147 of 300 copies, signed by Pronzini.
22. BUCHAN, John. The House of the Four Winds. Hodder & Stoughton, . Green cloth. Very good (lacking dust jacket).
23. (HEINLEIN, Robert A.) Patterson, William H., Jr. Robert A. Heinlein. In Dialogue with His Century. Volume 2. 1948-1988. The Man Who Learned Better. Tor, . As New.
24. JACOBI, Carl. East of Samarinda. Edited by Carl Jacobi and R. Dixon Smith. Bowling Green State University Popular Press, . Hardcover issue, signed by Smith.
25. JONES, Julia. Fifty Years in the Fiction Factory. The Working Life of Herbert Allingham. Golden Duck, . Wrappers.
26. MATTHEE, Rudy. The Pursuit of Pleasure. Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History, 1500-1900. Princeton University Press, .
27. MATTHIESSEN, Peter. The Snow Leopard. The Viking Press, . First trade ed. Very good (minor soiling, a few wrinkles to jacket).
28. MONAGHAN, E. Jennifer. Learning to Read and Write in Colonial America. University of Massachusetts Press, .
29. NEEDHAM, Joseph. Within the Four Seas. The Dialogue of East and West. George Allen & Unwin, . Jacket about very good only (loss of blank at bottom of back panel).
30. RUDOLF, Anthony. Silent Conversations. A Reader's Life. Seagull, . Ink initials on half title.
31. SINCLAIR, Iain, ed. London. City of Disappearances. Hamish Hamilton, 2006.
32. ZOLINE, Pamela. The Heat Death of the Universe and Other Stories. McPherson &. Co., . Wrappers issue. Very good.
$20.00 shelf :
33. COOK, Gary J. Blood Trail. Dennis McMillan, 2006. Signed by the author.
34. DEMARINIS, Rick. Sky Full of Sand. A Novel. Introduction by James Crumley. Dennis McMillan, 2003. Signed by the author.
35. NISBET, Jim. The Price of the Ticket. Dennis McMillan, 2003. Signed by the author.
36. NISBET, Jim. The Syracuse Codex. Dennis McMillan, 2005. Signed by the author.
37. NISBET, Jim. Dark Companion. Dennis McMillan, 2006. Signed by the author.
38. TRULUCK, Bob. Saw Red. A Mystery. Dennis McMillan, 2003. Signed by the author.
Books, priced individually :
39. BECKETT, Samuel. The Grove Centenary Edition. 4 vols., Grove Press, . Cloth backed boards, lacking board slipcase. Some pencil tick marks in margins. $40.00 (postpaid in U.S.)
40. DAVENPORT, Guy. Wo Es War, Soll Ich Werden. Finial Press, 2004. One of 100 copies signed by the author, with Circumspectus and Cadenza, as issued. As New. $1,000.00
41. DICK, Philip K. A Scanner Darkly. Doubleday, . Brown boards titled in white. Fine in Fine dust jacket. Variant binding, intermediate reprint, code H05 at gutter of p. 216. Not in Wintz & Hyde, who note code H13 as second printing. $250.00
42. DUNSANY, Lord. Rory and Bran. Putnam’s, . First American edition. Fine in near fine dust jacket. $50.00
43. (DUNSANY, Lord) Littlefield, Hazel. Lord Dunsany : King of Dreams. A Personal Portrait. Exposition Press, . Red cloth, dust jacket. Presentation inscription from the author, 1968, on front flyleaf. (Faint wear and soiling to jacket. $30.00
44. HARDYMENT, Christina. Writing Britain. Wastelands to Wonderlands. British Library, . $15.00
45. HUGHES, Rhys. Stories from a Lost Anthology. Tartarus, . No. 81 of 150 copies signed by the author. $40.00
46. HUGHES, Rhys. Journeys beyond Advice. Sarob, 2002. No. I of 52 lettered copies, signed by the author. $35.00
47. (KING, Stephen) Reign of Fear. Fiction and Film of Stephen King. Edited by Don Herron. Underwood-Miller, 1988. One of 500 copies signed by 17 contributors including L. Sprague de Camp, Thomas M. Disch, Frank Belknap Long, and Charles Willeford, (not signed by King or Goldberg). Cloth, dust jacket, slipcase, as issued. Fine. $250.00
48. (LOVECRAFT, H.P.) Joshi, S.T. Lovecraft : A Life. Necronomicon Press, . First edition. One of $250 copies (unnumbered), signed by the author. Cloth, dust jacket (faintest dust soiling at top edge). $200.00
49. SULWAY, N.A. Rupetta. Tartarus, . One of 300 copies. James Tiptree, Jr. Award winner, 2014. $100.00
50. WESSELLS, Henry. Another green world. Temporary Culture, 2003. One of 200 copies. Green cloth, dust jacket. Long out of print. As New. $100.00
Temporary Culture, P.O. Box 43072, Upper Montclair, NJ 07043 USA